Dec 02, 2018
Displays the cartoon strip of the day from the dilbert.com website.
Recent change notes
- Fix: Yet another update to the dilbert.com website broke the plug-in by removing the scheme from the strip image URL. This update accommodates no scheme, http or https in case of future changes.
- New: Ctrl-<mouse-button-1-click> (on Linux or Windows) or Cmd-<mouse-button-1-click> (on macOS) opens dilbert.com in the system's default web browser.
- Fix: An(other!) update to the dilbert.com website broke the plug-in by switching from https to http for the strip image URL. This update accommodates both schemes in case of future changes...
- Fix: An update to the dilbert.com website broke the plug-in by switching from an <img> tag with a
src attribute to a <div> tag with a
data-image attribute for identifying the strip image URL.
- Fix: The
idea-version element in the plug-in's
plugin.xml should no longer be rejected by the JetBrains plugin repository.
- Fix: The plug-in should once again successfully fetch strips if the IntelliJ Platform application is configured to use an HTTP proxy with authentication.
- Fix: The plug-in toolwindow no longer shows a close button on products built on IntelliJ Platform 2018.1 and later.
- Removed: The plug-in's custom error handler has been removed as the server-side CGI script is no longer deployed.
There are some non-visible changes:
- The plug-in is now built using the JetBrains gradle-intellij-plugin.
- Source code has been brought up to date (Java 5 -> Java 8).
- Source code is no longer bundled with the plug-in but is now available on GitHub.
- Fix: The plug-in's settings are now editable in IntelliJ IDEA 16 EAP (and in other products built on the same branch of IntelliJ Platform).
- Fix: The tooltip on the current cartoon strip now shows the correct date once more (instead of "The strip couldn't be retrieved").
- Fix: The plug-in is now compatible with CLion.
- Fix: An update to the dilbert.com website broke the plug-in by removing the 'fast' URL.
- Change: The helpset documentation has been removed as it no longer works (presumably due to changes in the IntelliJ Platform help system).
- Fix: The toolwindow background colour is no longer explicitly set to white.
- Fix: The toolwindow button icon is now the preferred 13x13 size.
- Fix: The plug-in is now compatible with any product built on IntelliJ Platform.
- Fix: The toolwindow title is now just "Dilbert" rather than "Dilbert Dilbert".
- Fix: Updated for IDEA 10.5 EAP (no longer bundles commons-httpclient, commons-codec or commons-logging).
- Fix: The toolbar action buttons are now available in IDEA's "dumb" mode e.g. when indexes are being rebuilt.
- Fix: The keyboard shortcuts for the toolbar actions now work once more.
- Fix: A change to IDEA prior to the IDEA 10.0 final release resulted in the plug-in's toolbar often painting incorrectly.
- Fix: Prevented the circumstances in which the error "Access to realized (ever shown) UI components should be done only from the AWT event dispatch thread, revalidate(), invalidate() & repaint() is ok from any thread" is logged.
- New: The plug-in's toolwindow is now available in IDEA's "dumb" mode e.g. when indexes are being rebuilt.
- Fix: A change to the IDEA OpenAPI during the IDEA 8.x EAP phase resulted in the plug-in generating the error "Access is allowed from event dispatch thread only.".
- Fix: An update to the dilbert.com website broke the plug-in by changing URL formats and no longer sending the HTTP Last-Modified header with replies.
- Fix: If IDEA is configured to send authentication information to an HTTP proxy then the authentication information is sent pre-emptively, avoiding problems with proxy servers that fail to respond with HTTP status code 407.
- Fix: The strip is fetched asynchronously rather than synchronously in the AWT event dispatch thread.
- New: Strips may be scheduled for automatic daily download.
- Fix: Any anticipated exception caught when downloading the strip results in an 'error' image being displayed rather than the exception being reported to IDEA's log.
- Fix: Help system typos corrected.
- New: The 'About' window can now be dismissed with the Esc key, removing any dependency at all on the mouse.
- New: IDEA's HTTP proxy settings are honoured.