Vendor: Olivier Descout
Email: descout underscore olivier at yahoo dot fr
Source code: CompareDirectories_src.zip
Allows the fast comparison of two directories or archive files (jar, zip, war... and also tar/gz) in IntelliJ IDEA, based on file contents.
Single file differences can be viewed with the usual IDEA diff window.
Diffs in compiled Java class structure and bytecode can also be viewed using the usual IDEA diff window and a built-in Java disassembler.
Detects blank-only differences in text files. Can also detect user-defined differences in text files and differences in source file comments, called «non-significant differences».
Provides some basic mass-merging facilities on compared files and directories (copy/delete on files or directories).
See the online help bundled in the plugin for more information (complete plugin sources are also bundled for the IDEA plugin developers' convenience).
Recent change notes
Made the plugin work with IDEA 14.1 + small fix on TAR-file management
General usage instructions
Compare Directories... menu command, select two directories or zip/jar/tar files containing files with the same file names and see the comparison results on the opened Compare Directories panel:
- Files and directories are shown depending on the differences in their contents: identical, different by blanks only, non-significantly different, different, left-only, right-only.
- Compared text file can be then edited within IDEA.
- Compared text file differences can be then viewed with the usual IDEA diff window.
- Compared class bytecode differences can be also viewed with the usual IDEA diff window.
- Files and directories can be copied from one side to the other.
You will find many more details in the bundled help pages.
- When a file has been renamed between 2 compared directories or archives and belongs to the same directory node, the left-only node and right-only node can be merged. Merged nodes can be split if necessary.
- In programming source files, differences in comments can be considered non-significant, to distinguish them from differences in programming instructions. See the non-signicantly diffs of the compare-directory settings dialog box to activate it.
Open Settings > Plugins
Find the "Compare Directories" plugin in the available plugins list, right click on it and choose install
Note: the latest plugin versions require
Idea 13 or more.