Notable Changes in IntelliJ Platform and Plugins API 2019.*
Notable Changes in IntelliJ Platform 2019.3
- Now reflects its "heavy test" characteristics (see Light and Heavy Tests ).
- Support for transitive optional plugin dependencies
plugin.xmlconfiguration files can now specify
- Theme/Keymap plugins do not require restart
- (Un)Installing or enabling/disabling Theme or Keymap plugins doesn't require an IDE restart anymore.
- Run task once (per project)
com.intellij.ide.util.RunOnceUtilto run a task exactly once for application or per project.
- Symbol completion in plain text editor (VCS Commit Message)
- Contribute symbol names (classes, methods, ..) via
com.intellij.completion.plainTextSymbolextension point (
- User-customizable date/time formatting
com.intellij.util.text.JBDateFormat#getFormatter()to use configured format from
Settings | Appearance & Behavior | System Settings | Date Formats.
Notable Changes in IntelliJ IDEA 2019.3
Notable Changes in IntelliJ Platform 2019.2
- Quickfixes for file-level notifications
- Consistent with other quickfixes, the menu now shows names of fixes, not names of problems themselves. Issue
- Create HTML representation of code
com.intellij.openapi.editor.richcopy.HtmlSyntaxInfoUtilto create Lexer-based highlighted code samples, e.g. for usage in documentation.
- View | Appearance | Description in Tree Views
- Toggles showing additional details in UI (e.g. modification timestamp in Project View) see
- New API for Editor Inlay Hints
- Allows a variety of presentations (incl. custom painting), mouse event handling, and exposing settings in Editor | Inlay Hints. See
- A non-blocking variant for
- Provides background color in all Trees, Lists and ComboBoxes.
- Use new dedicated extension point
com.intellij.backgroundPostStartupActivity(see Javadoc for
- Use new dedicated extension point
- When registering file type via file extension, pattern or exact file name matching, use extension point
com.intellij.fileTypeinstead (see Sample ).
- Indicates that the annotated API class, interface, or method must not get extended, implemented, or overridden by external plugins but can only be obtained or instantiated for classes and interfaces, or called for methods.
- Indicates that the annotated method is part of SPI (Service Provider Interface), which is intended to be only implemented or overridden but never called by external plugins.
- Defaults to thread-safe to prevent problems with clients using unsynchronized collections.
- Returns dedicated message when invalid SDK path was chosen (e.g., JRE instead of JDK).
Notable Changes in IntelliJ IDEA 2019.2
- Java functionality extracted as a plugin
- If your plugin depends on Java, it must be specified now; please see blog post for details.
- Unbundled plugins
- Several plugins (J2ME, JsTestDriver, Struts 1.x) for no longer actively maintained technology have been moved to a separate repository. If your plugin depends on them, users will need to install them from the JetBrains Plugins Repository.
Notable Changes in IntelliJ Platform 2019.1
com.intellij.testFramework.InspectionTestCasechanged to light test
- Use dedicated
ProjectDescriptoror rollback project setup changes in
tearDown()(see Light and Heavy Tests ).
- External annotations for the IntelliJ Platform are generated and attached to plugin projects automatically (replacing
- External annotations for the IntelliJ Platform are generated and attached to plugin projects automatically. This allows highlighting of API, which has been removed in newer platform versions.
- Indicates that the annotated element must not be considered as a public API. Do not use outside of the IntelliJ Platform. Issue
PsiReferenceProviderassert underlying element
- Assert references are created for the given underlying
CachedValuemore strict assertions
- Enabled in tests and EAP/internal mode, see
Last modified: 14 January 2021